Thursday, 18 August 2011

Glorious 39


Has anyone else ever seen the film Glorious 39 (2009) I came across it on the BBC 
IPlayer recently. It is a Stephen Poliakoff film with  Romola Garai in the lead who is also currently in the BBC's period piece The Hour. I first saw her in  The Crimson Petal and the White but looking at her Wikipedia entry she has a huge body of work. I really enjoy watching her and Glorious 39 has stayed with me the last couple of days as it is a great thriller. I'm sure some will say the plot is rather silly and fanciful, I agree it is not very plausable, however as a piece of escapism I loved it.

It is of course the costumes I wish to draw your attention to most of all, they are divine and she wears them so well. I would love a wardrobe (and figure) like hers.
This blue suit in particular was very versatile.





There is quite a stellar cast in all, Bill Nighy, David Tennant, Hugh Bonneville, Julie Christie, Jenny Agutter and Christopher Lee amongst them.
There is only a few more days on Iplayer so be quick.



5 comments:

  1. Cheery ending isn't it! I thought the colours used on the Romola's costumes were just great. I know it's fashionable for actresses to say they don't want to do period films (cf carey mulligan) but oh my gosh, I'm not sure there's anyone who suits period costume (or the colour yellow, or red lipstick) better than Romola.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm loving The Hour and Romola is a real natural beauty. I can't think for the life of me why I didn't watch this, I'll have to track it down on the i-player. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi my dear-I've not seen this, but the outfits are so very stylish and versatile. Hope you're well and wishing you a lovely weekend too xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was the stellar cast that led us to the cinema to see it. Must say that I didn't much like the plot of the film, but enjoyed it more second time around. However, it is without doubt a simply stunningly shot piece of cinema. The colours are amazing, the scenery is simply breathtaking and that's the city scenes as well as the country ones. Despite not 'loving' the actual story line, the fact that I would happily sit and watch it a third time says a lot at how this film has been put together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never seen this but the styling looks fab.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave comments and feedback if you wish. I would love to know what you think and what you would like to know about.
Mo