Tuesday, 5 July 2011

The time just flew by

Well my time at Mamma Mia has finished now, I had a thoroughly interesting time. Every day was different.



When cutting fabrics to send to a costume maker I refereed to a folder they called the Bible to see exactly what fabrics were needed for each piece and how many metres to cut. If there were zips or buttons needed to. This would be sent off with the measurements of the actor to the particular costume maker. Many makers work on the show in studios or a room in their home. Some work alone and some have a team.  Sometimes I would head out to Berwick street or Shepherds Bush to buy fabrics that aren't held in stock. Or to haberdashery shops for trimmings . I visited one lady in an extraordinary shop near Goodge Street called Taylors buttons. I plan to go back one day and take pictures, it is floor to ceiling boxes of buttons and the shop has been in her family for over 100 years. I was eyeing up some 30's looking buttons when she said vintage buyers often go to her looking for replacements.

On some days I was sent out with a shopping list, at first you think great, fresh air and a stroll but when you have a long list, the rain is starting, the tourists are getting in your way, you have to be back in an hour and you can't find what you are looking for, it gets a little frustrating. However when you turn up with the perfect thing and it was a bargain you are quite proud.

At the office along with the store of fabric are rails of costumes from previous productions that are still quite wearable and so will be re-used. I took it upon myself to label all the trousers with their waist size so that the ideal pair could be found easily. I didn't quite get them all done before I left but most of them. It felt good to leave that as my parting gift to my fabulous colleagues.


picture from britevents.com


So no more Mamma Mia for a while at least. Next thing is a very early start for a TV on saturday morning!
I shall let you know how that goes.



2 comments:

  1. can't wait to hear what you'll be working on next, it's all so interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Mo, thank you so much for your wonderful comments. I'm sorry I haven't visited for a while. I will add you to my blog list immediately so I don't miss you.

    Taylor's buttons sounds amazing! I love shops like that.

    I'm glad you've had a great time on Mama Mia and good luck with your Saturday mornings. Love, Christina xx

    ReplyDelete

Please leave comments and feedback if you wish. I would love to know what you think and what you would like to know about.
Mo