Saturday, 19 February 2011

Eat to the beat

Today I thought I would share with you one of the aspects of touring with Strictly come dancing that doesn't involve costumes.

The food!

When touring with theatre shows, you may have use of a fridge and a microwave if you are lucky. So you survive on ready meals, fast foods and sandwiches mostly. Working in arenas that are quite often in remote out of town areas we have a touring catering department. They are five hard working (hard playing) people who have to feed around 120 people everyday, sometimes 3 times a day. On a load in day they will start at 7 am making breakfast for the rest of the crew. Lunch and dinner will keep them on their feet for the rest of the day. On a load out day they will also make up the bus riders. This consists of sandwiches, fruit, crisps, chocolate, beer, wine and soft drinks.




Breakfast and lunch are buffet style with a Bain Marie for the hot food. At dinner time there is table service. Above are some examples of our dinner menus. Is it any wonder that at the end of the tour despite being on my feet constantly running around these big venues I am often bigger than I started.

Blue cheese & cheddar twice baked souffle



Baked apples

Sundays are a particular favourite of mine, we have a one thirty matinee and a six thirty evening show. So late morning we are provided with brunch, I have not yet missed the opportunity for an eggs Benedict. Chef makes the best i have ever tasted, with ham rather than bacon so they are not too heavy and the poached eggs are always perfect.


Then between shows comes the roast dinner. Look at the size of that!

The company who provide us with all this glorious food are called Eat to the beat. There equipment list includes fridges, ovens and the bain marie. Not to mention all the pans, crockery, cutlery and utensils needed. During rehearsals in london all the celebrities said the one thing people told them about on tour was the food. So it's safe to say that backstage Eat to the beat are the stars of the show. 

5 comments:

  1. OMG that first menu the soup and hummus has me drooling, that is my perfect food!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes the beetroot & walnut combination was amazing. I photographed it first just to remember it, then decided to blog about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mo,
    I run a blog for our theatre students at Northbrook College, and I'm a friend of Bryony's and have worked at ENB. She showed me your blog, and as well as it being a goldmine of info for students, I love it! So I've blogged about your blog on STACblog.wordpress.com. I'm also going to work my way through your list of blogs, so much good stuff out there.
    Anyway, I wanted to let you know and say please keep blogging!
    All the best,
    Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's great Vicki thanks. I hope it is of some use to your students. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ack...Blondie song is gonna be stuck in my head for days due to your title! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave comments and feedback if you wish. I would love to know what you think and what you would like to know about.
Mo